This year, CPABC Vancouver Chapter celebrated its fifth anniversary and my term as Chapter Chair will come to an end on June 30th.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the members, students and candidates who have attended our Chapter events. It’s been a privilege to have connected with many of you and I have built many treasured relationships over the years.
A thank you to the staff at CPABC and especially to David Chiang and Tierra Pawluk. Your support of the Vancouver Chapter has positively shaped the experiences of many members, students and candidates myself included.
I would also like to thank the past and present CPABC Vancouver Chapter board members. To the past board members, thank you for building a tradition of tireless dedication, which I hope to have emulated. And to the current board members, thank you for everything. It’s been an honour to lead this group of amazing people. There is no other group I would have rather spent my time with.
This term, we should be proud to have achieved the following:
- Partnered with exciting organizations including ACL (now Galvanize), Mogo, Duke of Edinburgh, Quest Food Exchange, Port of Vancouver and Easter Seals House to host our events;
- Booked the entire Hey Y’all Porch for the upcoming Vancouver Canadians Game on June 28th, 2019. With 200 tickets available, this will be the largest Vancouver Chapter event on record;
- Organized Chapter PD on emerging topics such as Blockchain and Digital Management Accounting;
- Launched cpa_vancouver Instagram; and
- Funded new student awards to Langara College and BCIT through 2022/2023.
And finally, I’d like to welcome the new board and the incoming Chair, Christine Woodington, CPA, CGA. Next year’s team is talented as ever, and I’ll leave you with a quote from Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t – you’re right”. Having previously served as Marketing Chair, Outreach Chair, Secretary, and Vice Chair, I will look back on my seven years of volunteering with great memories
Matthew Wong, CPA, CGA
CPABC Vancouver Chapter Chair