Community Service: Tax Clinic Volunteers

CPABC members can participate as a volunteer preparing tax returns or alternatively can request a free tax return preparation clinic, on behalf of a community organization, through the CRA’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). When volunteering, here are three things you should know:

1. The CVITP works with community organizations across Canada that wish to host tax preparation clinics and helps direct volunteers to these organizations. The CRA website has an extensive listing of community organizations who have organized tax clinics and who are in need of volunteers ( Volunteering through the CVITP is straight forward. There is an online volunteer registration form on the CRA website which will allow a CRA coordinator to contact you to help find a participating organization in your area.

2. Members who are not already licensed for public practice must apply for an exemption from licensing —this includes members who are employed in public practice but who are not personally licensed. Members who hold the “Other Regulated Services – Non-Reviewable” licence must also apply for the exemption, as this category does not permit them to prepare T1s. CPA students wishing to volunteer may do so under the supervision of a CPA member licensed for public practice or if not then a member who has who has obtained the exemption from licensure. It’s straightforward to apply for exemption from licensing – simply go to Online Services on the CPABC home page (tab on the top right hand of the page).

3. To ensure the protection of the public, CPABC arranged for a blanket insurance policy with CPA Professional Liability Plan Inc. that applies to authorized CPABC members provided certain conditions are met. The cost of this insurance is covered by CPABC.

For more details, please read the article in the January/February 2018 CPABC In Focus magazine.

CPABC thanks you in advance for volunteering your tax services at your local tax clinic.

Posted in community, CPABC