Join us on May 12th, 2018 for our Chapter PD Event on Estate Planning & Litigation Business Ownership Disputes & Resolutions Purchase or Sale of Business at the Morgan Creek Golf Club.
|Date:||Saturday, May 12, 2018|
|Where:||Morgan Creek Golf Club, 3500 Morgan Creek Way, Surrey, BC|
|Time:||Registration & Breakfast: 8:00 am – 9:00 am | Seminar: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm|
|Cost:||$80 + GST (includes breakfast)|
|CPD| Level:||3 hours | General|
|To Register:||Click Here|
Preventing and Resolving Business Ownership Disputes
Presenter: Corry A. Clark will cover:
- Frequently seen sources of business ownership dispute
- The value and critical terms of a good shareholders’ agreement or partnership agreement
- Losses to the business vs. losses suffered by shareholders
- Common types of business ownership litigation
- How accountants might assist in the resolution of ownership disputes or court proceedings
About the presenter: Corry Clark is a litigation partner with Hamilton Duncan. Her practice encompasses a wide-variety of civil and commercial litigation matters at all levels of court in British Columbia, and she has particularly extensive experience in shareholder and partnership disputes including oppression proceedings, derivative actions and matters under the Partnership Act.
Negotiating and Closing the Purchase or Sale of a Business
Presenter: B. Sunny Aujla will cover:
- Special considerations in purchase and sale transactions
- Legal due diligence
- Common pitfalls in working capital provisions
- Effective indemnity provisions and controlling risk exposure thereunder
- How accountants can assist lawyers in a good purchase and sale transaction
About the presenter: Sunny Aujla is associate counsel with Hamilton Duncan. He advises a wide range of clients from owner-operated businesses to large corporations spanning several jurisdictions and has extensive experience in a number of areas including the purchase and sale of businesses, corporate reorganizations, franchise matters, fiduciary obligations, corporate governance, partnership and shareholder agreements, independent contractor agreements, supply/distribution arrangements, real estate transactions, commercial leases and equity and/or debt financing.
Current Issues in Estate Planning
Presenter: Barbara E. Janzen will cover:
- Planning considerations where blended families are concerned
- A primer on the issue of capacity
- Issues with digital assets
About the presenter: Barbara Janzen is associate counsel with Hamilton Duncan. She has extensive experience in all areas of estate administration, including informing executors and trustees of their duties and powers, obtaining grants of probate and administration, and dealing with multi-jurisdictional issues, such as non-Canadian beneficiaries and foreign assets. Barbara also assists her clients by crafting estate plans which meet their unique circumstances, including the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements for health care, and domestic trusts, such as alter ego, joint partner and family trusts.
Estate Litigation Issues
Presenter: David A. Hunter will cover:
- Wills Variation: How it can disrupt the estate plan
- Joint Title: A good tax strategy with potential high litigation costs
- Undue Influence: How to spot and possibly prevent fraud
- Unjust Enrichment: The accountant as a witness
About the presenter: David Hunter is a litigation partner at Hamilton Duncan. He has experience in a variety of estate-related disputes, including wills variation claims, trust and unjust enrichment claims, and actions involving issues of capacity and undue influence and has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia.
Hamilton Duncan website: https://www.hdas.com