One chapter closes another one opens
As I reflect upon this past term, I look back proudly on our local chapter’s accomplishments.
Some of these include:
- Organizing 10 Chapter PD events from September 2018 though to June 2019 on diverse topics such as Ethics, Tax, Cryptocurrency , and Multiculturalism in the workplace;
- 6 social events: Plant Day, Exit game, Holiday Social, Go Kart, Lazer Tag and a BBQ;
- 5 community engagement events: Maritime Festival, Richmond Hospital Gala, Financial Literacy, Tax Clinic, and Shore cleanup;
- 3 Public Practice Forums;
- 2 Student Nights and a Capstone Mock Presentation Night; and
- 1 Member Engagement Tour where 10, 25 and 50 year members were recognized.
Specific Highlights include:
- 20 CPA volunteers devoting 322 hours and filling 288 returns for the low-income individuals and families at the Tax Clinic in March and April hosted by RMCS;
- 1,500 pieces of trash (mostly cigarette butts) were picked up by 20 volunteers at our first ever shore cleanup at Terra Nova;
- Donated $1,000 to Kwantlen Polytechnic University. The chapter award is fully funded until 2026/2027; and
- Donated $2,000 to the CPA Education Foundation of BC to support programs targeted at high school accounting students.
A thank you to the staff at CPABC and especially to David Chiang, Tierra Pawluk, Shobna Nand, Nicola McLaren and Kitty Leung for their support and guidance.
In addition, I would like to thank all the previous board members for mentoring me over the past 6 years on how to better serve our members and running a board. Kudos to our current board members for supporting me throughout my term as Chapter Chair and from whom I also learned a lot which I will implement in the future. I have fond memories of my time and on the relationships that I have forged over my six years with CPABC Richmond/South Delta Chapter.
I am excited to see what new initiatives will unravel from the social, community engagement, education and recruitment committees. The chapter is in good hands with Amy Huang CPA, CGA at the helm as chair and Miranda Cook CPA, CGA as vice- chair. The chapter will continue to prosper with well supported leaders and continue to serve our local members/students and candidates.
John Dumfries CPA, CGA
CPABC Richmond/South Delta Chapter Chair 2018/2019